The Head of Inclusive Insurance is responsible primarily to provide results-oriented leadership in initiating, designing, implementing and managing interventions aimed at increasing access to insurance for low-income households and individuals. The objective of this role is to assist market actors and stakeholders in addressing the systematic market and regulatory constraints that hinder access to insurance services for the low-income market segments in Rwanda. The role is also responsible for ensuring excellent relationships and service delivery to implementing partners and other key stakeholders and ensuring that projects deliver against the goals and targets laid out.
The Head of inclusive insurance is to be perceived as the expert in inclusive insurance or microinsurance and reports to the Director of Programs.
a) Implement AFR's Insurance Intervention Strategy ensuring that it remains relevant to changing market needs.
b) Identify gaps, market-driven opportunities and potential innovations in the insurance sector alignment with AFR’s strategic goals and objectives and the principles of M4P.
c) Actively participate in the development, implementation and review of inclusive insurance market facilitation interventions based on an in-depth understanding of the insurance sector as a whole, the state-of-the sector in Rwanda.
d) Identify and work with implementing partners to develop a portfolio of impactful projects in inclusive insurance. Ensure that results are achieved, risks are managed and that quality projects are delivered
e) Engage with the National Bank of Rwanda (BNR), other regulators, Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning (MINECOFIN) and other key Ministries to provide strategic inputs and policy level assistance related to insurance.
f) Initiate and manage innovation facilities aimed at narrowing the gap in the demand and supply mismatch of appropriate insurance services for underserved or unserved market segments.
g) Support key stakeholders such as “L’Association Des Assureurs du Rwanda (ASSAR) and other relevant stakeholders in the design and implementation of consumer education and industry wide professional skills development programs.
h) Co-ordinate research in order to understand the ecosystem of the insurance sector and inform interventions
i) Collaborate with the private sector, funders and other market players in driving an inclusive insurance agenda in Rwanda.
j) Actively publish articles, blogs, tweets, focus notes and reports on emerging insights from inclusive insurance market facilitation initiatives.
k) Any other tasks as may be assigned by the supervisor
The ideal candidate should have the following:
· A Bachelor’s degree in insurance or a related field such as economics or actuarial science
· Master's degree preferred
· A Professional Certificate in Insurance (CII or Expert in Micro insurance) is an added advantage
Experience and knowledge:
· A sound understanding of the financial and insurance sector in the Rwanda and East African region
· At least 7 years of professional experience in the insurance industry in Rwanda and the East African region at a Senior Level
· Experience working with the microfinance sector, banks, SACCO’s, informal finance groups
· Demonstrated program management skills
· Excellent communication, report writing and computer skills
· Excellent written and spoken English, proficiency in Kinyarwanda will be a clear advantage
How to apply:
· If your qualifications and experience match the requirements for this role, please email your application to AFR at the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org indicating on the Subject line: Application for the position of Head of Inclusive Insurance.All applications should be sent via email.
· Those who had applied for the earlier advertised position of Project Officer – Inclusive Insurance need not to apply again.
· Please attach your CV containing your e-mail address, daytime telephone contact, qualifications, achievements, experience, present position and names & addresses of three referees together with a cover letter (maximum 2 pages) summarizing why you consider yourself particularly well suited for the position. Do not attach any other documents at this point.
· Closing date for receipt of applications will be 6th April 2018.
· All applications will be selected on merit and only shortlisted candidates will be invited for interviews. For any questions regarding the application process please contact Access to Finance Rwanda on: +250 782 507 751