KWEZI AND I... Of abrupt sickness and panic attacks

Nasra and Kwezi

It has been an eventful one week, a reminder that perhaps, when God gives us children, He should also give us a manual of what to expect. What else explains the sudden shift from laughing and running around to suddenly being rushed to hospital?

I came from town and went to my parents’ house ready to eat and take a nap with Kwezi. The moment I got to the backdoor, I was a little disappointed that my baby girl had not come running to me with open arms, ready for hugs and kisses.

The whole place was silent, something that is unusual. The door was wide open but there was no one in sight. The first thing I saw was a fork on the floor and a plate of food that looks like it had been abandoned in a hurry. By this time, I was now ready to start screaming. And then the housemaid appeared. She explained that Kwezi had been rushed to a nearby clinic. I felt my heart drop in my stomach, after all, I had talked to my sister an hour before and she jokingly told me that Kwezi’s legs were now like those of a footballer from all the running around.

She explained in detail how my mother had entered the house looking for Kwezi only to find her blacked out in one of the couches in the living room. That was a first for her because she has always complained that taking her to bed for a nap is a hassle. Upon touching her forehead, she was shocked by the temperature. She was burning up. Upon picking her up, Kwezi promptly started vomiting uncontrollably.

In panic, my mother started running to a nearby clinic. My cousin followed, which explains the fork and food that I found. I didn’t wait to hear another word because like a mad woman, I practically flew out of the house. The distance from my house to the clinic is about 100 meters but I felt my legs were not taking me fast enough, so I jumped on the next moto  — a story that made everyone laugh later — and in a second, I was with Kwezi. She had just thrown up again but an injection to reduce her temperature had been administered. She just didn’t have any energy. She was very weak and was as expected so low. I opened her mouth and as I half suspected, Kwezi’s throat had been hit by a serious bout of tonsillitis. The roof of her mouth was colourful, with red blood spots. In less than an hour, she was on her medication and she proceeded to sleep for another five hours and when she woke up, she was much better.

Talking to my mother later, we agreed that children are the most delicate, and at the same time, resilient people. It is easy for a child to slip from your hands but it’s also amazing how they are also quick to get back on their feet. We thank God that this experience is now behind us.


Have Your SayLeave a comment