Defensive errors cost us dearly – Mukura boss

Haringingo has said that ‘poor defending’ cost his side in 3-0 humiliation by Al-Hilal Club Omdurman of Sudan on Sunday. Sam Ngendahimana.


Play-off Round

Al Hilal Omdurman      3-0     Mukura VS

Gor Mahia FC                 2-1     New Star Douala

Otoho d’Oyo                   3-0     KCCA FC

Vipers                               0-0     CS Sfaxien

Mukura Victory Sports coach Christian Francis Haringingo has said that poor defending cost his side in the 3-0 humiliation at the hands of Al-Hilal Club Omdurman of Sudan on Sunday in the first leg of the CAF Confederation Playoffs in Khartoum.

The hosts opened the scoring as early as the fifth minute through Mohamed Mukhtar, before Idris Mbombo doubled their lead in the 62nd minute while Ahmed Muhamed netted the third goal in the 80th minute to leave Mukura with a mountain to climb in the return leg.

“I am disappointed because we needed a good result away from home,” he said.

The second leg will be played on Saturday at Huye Stadium. 

Hussein Ciza, Christophe Ndayishimiye, Bertrand Iradukunda and Rashid Mutebi all had chances in front of goal but none of them could find the net.

 “We played better and if we had made the most of the chances we created we would have won the game or at least get a draw. We need to be more focused in the second leg,” Haringingo noted.

He particularly blamed lack of concentration on the part of his players in the later stages of the game.

Mukura is the only Rwandan club left in continental competitions after APR were eliminated in the preliminary stages of the Champions League.

Mukura is bidding to become the second Rwandan club after Rayon Sports to reach the competition’s group stage.

They now need four unanswered goals to achieve that mission.

The Peace Cup holders are taking part in the continental showpiece for the first time in 18 years.

Mukura reached the playoffs round – for the first time – last month after edging out another Sudanese side Hilal Obayed 5-4 in penalty shootouts following a goalless draw in regular time.