One Dollar Campaign officials have said they closing in on the set target of Rwf1.5bn to put up accommodation for student survivors of the 1994 Genocide against the Tutsi.
According to the Secretary General of Rwanda Diaspora Global Network (RDGN), Ismael Buchanan, so far the fund has collected Rwf 918 million in cash and pledges since its inception on April 4, 2009.
“The project’s fundraising phase has been successful. We are optimistic that we will reach the 1 billion mark as earlier targeted,” said Buchanan.
The campaign’s wish was to collect the targeted amount within 100 days that signifies the period in which the genocide was committed, but it was later extended because the target had not been met.
“In addition to the funds received, some companies have promised services and subsidized construction materials,” he said.
The campaign was initiated by RDGN but Rwandans in the country later joined and hundreds of millions have since been collected in different organisations and individuals.
According to Buchanan following media plea that called for Rwandans to honour pledges, the cash figure has short up to an estimated Rwf 400 m in cash.
Still the officials are calling for people to clear the outstanding pledges.
“Many organisations have made an effort to pay up their pledges, we are encouraging others to follow suit,” said Buchanan.
According to Buchanan the officials are currently scouting for required expertise to facilitate the next technical phase before commencing construction of the estate that will be set up in Kagugu, a Kigali suburb.
“Campaign funds needs to be designed and coordinated to meet project goals; we are currently looking through bids to identify the right organisations for fund and project management,” Buchanan said.
In regard to land clearance and building authorization permits, Buchanan confirmed that that all the documents had been obtained and the campaign is well poised for the next phase.