KIGALI - Over 300 local and foreign observers have confirmed their participation in the forthcoming Presidential elections slated for August 9.
This was revealed to The New Times yesterday by the Executive Secretary of the National Electoral Commission (NEC), Charles Munyaneza.
“Over three hundred have so far confirmed, but we expect many more to come as the time for elections draws closer,” said Munyaneza.
The commission wrote to a number of organizations to take part in the elections. Among those that have shown interest are COMESA, Foreign Embassies in Rwanda, and Regional Electoral Commissions.
Munyaneza further said that local organizations include the Political Parties’ Forum, Civil Society Platform, Human Rights Commission, Centre for Conflict Resolution, and the national Commission for the fight against Genocide (CNLG(, to mention but a few.
He also revealed that the commission will unveil the final voters’ register on July 23.
Voter registration ended on June 30 around the country and July 8 in Kigali city.
The NEC Executive Secretary also called upon all people involved in campaigns to abide by the law to avoid problems that could mar the elections. Presidential campaigns are slated to kick off on July 20.
In a recent press briefing, NEC Chairman, Chrysologue Karangwa, explained that candidates are no longer required to request permission to hold a rally anywhere like it had previously been the case.
“All they do is to first inquire from the district authorities to avoid clashing at the same venue with other candidates,” Karangwa said.