• NEWS refers to information from four directions North, East, West and South and POP MUSIC is ‘Popular Music’ shortened.
• QUEUE comes from ‘Queen’s Quest’. Long ago, a long row of people waited to see the Queen. Someone made the comment Queen’s Quest from which Queue was derived.
• JEEP is a vehicle with a unique Gear system. It was invented during World War II (1939-1945). It was named ‘General Purpose Vehicle (GP)’.GP was changed into JEEP later.
Days of the Week
• Sunday is the Lord’s Day for Christians, yet it is named for the sun. Like many other days of the week it was actually named by the Norsemen who invaded England in the centuries preceding the Norman Conquest. It is a Norse change of the Roman designation of the day.
• Monday is moon day; Moon was thought to be very important in the lives of people and their crops.
• Tuesday is not named for the number. It is named for the Norse god of War, known for his sense of justice.
• Wednesday: Woden’s Day. Woden, or Odin, was a Norse god who was one of the most powerful of them all.
• Thursday: Thor’s Day. Thor was a Norse god who wielded a giant hammer.
• Friday: Frigg’s Day. Frigg was a Norse god equal in power to Odin. It is the only day of the week named for a woman. Her name was Frigga and she was the companion of Odin.
• Saturday is the only day of the week in the English language that retained its Roman character. It takes its name from the Roman god of time and the harvest.
Friday James is a S6 student at Lycee De Kigali Secondary School