New moms with plans of breastfeeding can use some of these tips to ensure a successful breastfeeding relationship with their new babies.
• Nurse as soon as possible after birth.
• Establish the proper latch on. This will eliminate much of the pain and soreness often associated with breastfeeding, and it will allow the baby to get milk more easily.
• Avoid artificial nipples.
• Do not restrict the length or frequency of breastfeeding.
• Sleep when your baby sleeps!
• Wear your baby! Carry your baby in a sling for easy nursing.
• Have a glass of water every time you sit down to nurse - this will help make sure you’re drinking enough fluids.
• Avoid bras and tight-fitting clothing in the first few weeks after birth to allow sore nipples to heal.
• Use pillows to support you and your baby while breastfeeding.
• If you experience pain during breastfeeding, seek help from your doctor or a Lactation Consultant.