Many people have been richly blessed by what they learnt at their mom’s knee. Both famous and infamous men and women world over have been directly or indirectly influenced character wise by their moms.
Pity those whom fate did not allow the opportunity of growing at their mom’s bosom.
Nature endows every human being with a biological set of parents but there are instances where some never get to meet leave alone be raised up by their real parents.
Fortunately, whether biological or not, a godly mom is a treasure to those who live around her. The Bible confirms this further in Proverbs 31:28 -29; “Her children say good things about her, her husband brags about her and praises her. Grace and beauty can fool you, but a woman who respects God should be praised.”
Consider John and Charles Wesley; their names would probably never have lighted the pages of history if it hadn’t been for their mother who taught them that the law of love and Christian witness was to be their daily guidance.
Susan Wesley spent one hour each day praying for her seventeen children, in addition, she took each child aside for a full hour every week to discuss spiritual matters with them.
It is little wonder John and Charles Wesley were greatly used by God bring blessings around the world.
Here are a few rules Susan Wesley followed in training her children:
• Subdue self-will in a child and work together with God.
• Teach them to pray as soon as they can speak.
• Teach them how to ask politely for what they want and not to cry for things. Give them only what is good for them.
• To prevent lying, punish no fault that is freely confessed, but never allow a rebellious, sinful act to go unchecked.
• Commend and reward good behavior.
• Strictly observe all promises you have made to your child.
Let us all honor godly moms today, not only with words of praise but with lives that reflect the impact of their holy influence.
Quote: The virtues of mothers are visited on by their children. –Dickens-