They are most often looked at as people of low profile and many see them as people of no importance in the restaurant by the customers and some bosses. But did you know that a waiter determine the success of the restaurant.
A presentable restaurant starts with the waiters’ settings, the choice of colour he decides to use in the restaurant and his personal grooming.
In any case the owner wants to maintain a certain standard in his restaurant; the waiter’s standards should be consistent.
This includes the general cleanliness of the place, the glassware and the cutlery, the table cloths and the walls.
It doesn’t really matter how newer the building is when it is not clean. Who would dare to visit a place where the staffs are not smart? Remember people dine out for various
reasons but the large percentage of the number come to have anew experience.
So; don’t give them that memorable negative experience to there lives As a waiter, you must know your role, duties in the restaurant.
Leave alone serving patrons with food and beverages, you should keep an eye on the guest’s tables and watch for the empty glasses, bottles and don’t wait for the customer to call you to clear the table in case they are through with there meals or drinks.
Show interest in your customers. Always smile with them and for those who come with children, show interest in there children.
If the babies are young, you can assist the mother by lifting him, directing them where to sit having a simple chat / joke.
Care should be put into consideration here. Keep children occupied with toys, crackers etc
Below is a summary of waiter’s duties:
• Attend briefings about restaurant service
• Conduct mis-en-place arrangements (cutlery, cups, plates etc)
• Mis-en-sin this is the preparation of the place before the function( not the cutlery cups, plates) but the tables, flowers etc
• Clean glasses and silver ware
• Receive guests and sit them
• Take orders and serve beverages
• Serve wines and champagne
• Present bills to patrons
• Control the cost in the restaurant
• He is the salesman person
• Ensure hygiene and sanitation
• Safety in the restaurant and outside the restaurant
• Be informed about everything both internal and external
• keep stations to avoid panic and sweat
• Un used covers should be cleared before a guest sits on a table
• Don’t disturb a guest un-necessarily when adjusting the cover for the