Refer to the story, “Another fire outbreak in Kigali City” (The New Times, July 21)
This is not the first, neither the last time such things do happen. It is not a unique phenomenon in Rwanda. Such incidents happen everywhere—even in the most so-called economically advanced countries.
Let us not forget that all these electric installations are very old and were done, most of them, unprofessionally. The best way forward is to revamp these out-of-date electric installations in buildings, both privately owned and public ones, and in people’s homes.
Let those who put up new building respect all electrification rules such as having fire extinguishers, water pumps outside the buildings, creating feeder roads to all building in case of fire, etc.
The government should also put in place a fully professional fire-fighting force that is ready to intervene in case of an outbreak.