Death toll from Nigeria’s bus station attack rises to 41

KANO— Wounded survivors on Tuesday described the terrifying scene of a suicide attack at a Nigerian bus station that killed at least 41 people, the latest violence to hit the restive north.
Burnt luxury buses lie in the parking area at New Road bus station in Sabon Gari district in northern Nigerian’s largest city of Kano on March 19, 2013.. Net photo.
Burnt luxury buses lie in the parking area at New Road bus station in Sabon Gari district in northern Nigerian’s largest city of Kano on March 19, 2013.. Net photo.

KANO— Wounded survivors on Tuesday described the terrifying scene of a suicide attack at a Nigerian bus station that killed at least 41 people, the latest violence to hit the restive north.

The Monday attack saw two suicide bombers ram their car into the bus station in Kano, Nigeria’s second largest city, setting off a huge explosion that hit five buses, police spokesman Magaji Majia told AFP.

A rescue official said late Tuesday that the attack left 41 people dead, while Majia said 65 were injured.

The police had earlier given a toll of 22 dead, but the rescue official, who requested anonymity, later told AFP that 20 victims were counted at the Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital and an additional 21 bodies were reported at the Murtala Mohammed Specialist Hospital. Witnesses described hearing multiple blasts and seeing wounded victims in bloodied clothes flee the area as authorities cordoned off the scene.

“I was boarding the bus to Lagos when I heard a huge explosion,” Abdulaziz Baban-Lamma, a 47-year-old trader, told AFP from his hospital bed.

The blast left him with severe injuries to his abdomen and other survivors ran to assist him when they saw his condition, he said. He later underwent emergency surgery. “May Allah curse whoever was behind the act,” he said.

Magawata Goje, 45, was selling dried meat at the station when the bomb went off.

“Something sharp hit me under my right ear,” he said.

“Blood gushed out and I was drenched in my blood.”

When he regained consciousness, “I could see many people burnt to death,” he said.

Emmanuel Bassey, a 37-year-old bus company employee with burns across his body, said the bombers slammed into one of the buses at high speed.

President Goodluck Jonathan condemned the attack and said his government would continue “its unrelenting war against terrorists.”

But the government has so far shown little ability to halt violence linked to an insurgency by the Islamist extremist group Boko Haram.

The bus station targeted on Monday primarily services passengers heading to the mostly Christian south of Nigeria.

It was also attacked in January last year in a blast that wounded several people.

Authorities have not said who was behind the bombing and there has been no claim of responsibility, but it was similar to previous attacks by Boko Haram.

Its deadliest assault yet occurred in the northern city in January 2012, when at least 185 people were killed in coordinated bomb and gun attacks.

Agencies

Subscribe to The New Times E-Paper


You want to chat directly with us? Send us a message on WhatsApp at +250 788 310 999    

 

Follow The New Times on Google News