KIGALI - The Government is set to indict 23 French senior officials who were implicated in the Mucyo Commission report.
The Commission was set up to investigate the role of France in the 1994 Tutsi Genocide which claimed the lives of over one million people.
Speaking to The New Times, Tuesday, the Prosecutor General Martin Ngoga revealed that so far, the indictments for 23 of the 33 named in the report which was first made public last August are ready.
“From the time the report was transmitted to the National Public Prosecution Authority, we have been working on it. We shall soon issue indictments against most of the French military and political officials implicated by the report,” Ngoga said.
But people close to the French judicial saga pointed out that it would be an uphill task to compel French authorities to honour their indictments.
They argue that in the past, prominent Rwandan figures living in France who were indicted for their roles in the 1994 Genocide of Tutsis, were either released or never arrested at all.
Ngoga was unperturbed by the possible struggle his office will face in trying to bring the indicted Frenchmen to book.
“We have been pursuing other Genocide fugitives in Europe with a lot of practical difficulties, but we have never wavered in our efforts. I have no reason to believe the French case will be any different,” he said.
“Our duty is to do what we can under the law. We shall wait and see what happens once the indictments are issued, but we can’t be repelled by these difficulties,” he pointed out.
He also dismissed suggestions that the indictments were in any way related to the arrest of a senior Rwandan official in Germany on the request of a French judge.
“We in the prosecution have been consistent on our roadmap from the time we received the report. Our process is independent of other happenings,” he said.
The names of those indicted were not made public but Ngoga revealed that they would issue them “very soon”.