KIGALI - One of the seven people injured in the Wednesday grenade explosion at a busy bus and taxi terminal in downtown Kigali, commonly known as kwa Rubangura, died yesterday.
In an interview with The New Times, the Director General of Kigali Central Teaching Hospital (CHUK), Dr. Theobald Hategekimana, only one unidentified man died, and not six as it had been reported by some sections in the media.
“We lost one person out of the 7 who were injured. He was a man. He died from injuries sustained on the head. The other six are recovering steadily,” Hategekimana said on the phone.
He added that about 21 people had been brought to hospital but only the seven had sustained injuries while the others had just been traumatised by the explosion.
“At the hospital we have 11 people but only 7, including the one who died were the ones injured by the grenade. The other four people are cases of trauma still undergoing counselling. The rumours about the deaths are wrong,” Dr. Hategekimana said.
According to eye witnesses, when the explosion went off just after 6 pm during rush hour, people took cover while others panicked into a stampede.
The wounded were later rushed to CHUK for treatment.
When The New Times visited the scene on Wednesday evening, Police had cordoned off the scene of the blast and blood stains were still visible on the tarmac. A motorbike suspected to have been carrying the assailants was lying on the ground.
The government has pledged to give free medical care to the wounded.
Police Spokesperson, Eric Kayiranga, said yesterday that the police has heightened security around the city and assured Rwandans of safety.
“There are no other security concerns in Kigali or around the country – the police remain vigilant andcwill maintain security for all Rwandans” Kayiranga said, adding that they would not rest until those who carried out the barbaric act are apprehended.
Three people have already been arrested in connection with the attack.