Rwanda Football Association (FERWAFA) has confirmed that Interforce FC has replaced Isonga FC in next season’s second division league and also that all teams will use players under the age of 23 years. The second tier league season is slated to kick off on November 11.
Isonga FC withdrew from competing in all FERWAFA competitions so as to focus on operating as a football academy, which was their original mission when the team was started in 2011.
Interforce returns to play in the second division after missing last year, and head coach Ildephonse Nkotanyi says it is good news for their fans.
“We didn’t play in the second division league last year because we wanted to focus on developing our U15 side but now we’re happy to be admitted back. We started training two weeks ago, and we plan to play some friendly games before the new season starts,” Nkontanyi said.
FERWAFA spokesperson Prosper Ruboneza confirmed that indeed Interforce FC’s request to compete in the second division league had been approved.
“Following Isonga’s withdrawal, FERWAFA Executive Committee decided to replace them with Interforce FC, who had requested to return after missing last season,” he noted.
Second division clubs will feature players aged between 15-23 years in the upcoming season and no foreign player will be fielded.
Interforce will be in Group B alongside UR FC, Rugende FC, La Jeunesse, Intare FC, Heroes FC, Vision JN, AS Muhanga, SEC Academy, Hope FC and United Stars.
Group A is composed of Gasabo United, Esperance FC, Sorwathe FC, Pepiniere FC, Unity SC, Nyagatare FC, Aspor FC, Etoile de l’Est, Rwamagana City FC, Vision FC, Akagera FC and Gitikinyoni FC.
Last season, Miroplast FC and Isonga were promoted to the top flight league but the later withdrew hence handing SC Kiyovu a second chance to play in topflight despite being relegated along with Pepiniere FC.