The third edition of the Genocide memorial boxing tournament is scheduled for Sunday at Club Rafiki in Nyamirambo, according to the organizers, Rwanda Amateur Boxing Association (RABA).
The annual one-day competition, which is held to honor the victims of the 1994 Genocide against the Tutsi, will attracts only local boxers, both male and women after Kenya and Uganda pulled out at the last hour.
Pugilists fighting at different weight categories will come from different clubs namely; Inkuba Boxing club, Kimisagara, Remera and Kigali Life.
RABA president Vicky Kalisa said, "We want to use the memorial tournament to prepare the national team for next month’s AIBA Africa Boxing Championships in Brazzaville.”
Rwandan boxers dominated their Ugandan counterparts to win last year’s edition by eight bouts to four – the fights were in different age, gender and weight categories; ranging from 8-10 years and 17-34 years.
In one of the thrilling main fights, Rwanda’s light heavyweight Vincent Nsengiyumva beat Uganda's Alex Kakoza by three rounds to zero.
However, going into this year’s event, Nsengiyumva said, "It’s unfortunate that Kenya and Uganda pulled out – it would have been a good test against foreign fighters ahead of the upcoming African Boxing Championships.”
Nsengiyumva is one of seven boxers, including one woman, preparing for the continental event in Congo.
They include; Olivier Niyigena (52kg) David Nsabimana (57kg), Alex Niyomurenyi (60kg), Jean Pierre Cyiza and Charles Muvunyi both (64kg) and female boxer, Rachel Iratuzi (62kg).