Belinda Umurerwa is a young entrepreneur whose dream is to see Rwanda’s music industry take an international course. She ventured into entertainment by opening up an events organising company called Kigali Entertainment Promoters. She had a chat with Donah Mbabazi.
1. What’s your favourite holiday?
My favourite holiday is Christmas because this is when I have the opportunity to hang out with almost all my family members. Our dad always brings us together and we have fun as it is also his birthday.
2. If you were a guy, what would you want your name to be?
Any name would be okay as long as its meaning is not bad.
3. That one thing that most people don’t know about you?
I am too emotional; I get emotional when I see children suffering or unhappy, when they cry I cry along with them, I always wish I could make every child smile.
4. What do you like doing in your spare time?
I love reading.
5. What is your worst memory?
January 1 of every year reminds me of a very bad call I received telling me my mum was killed. On this date, I stay indoors.
6. What did you do for your last birthday?
I didn’t really do that much on my birthday because I was out of the country but what I remember is that I was taken out for a good dinner.
7. How can someone get your undivided attention?
One can get my attention on Sundays after church because that’s the only day I chill at home. Other days are a hustle, that’s when my kids are at school and apart from my own work schedules; the rest of the time is for my babies.
8. What is your favourite song?
My best song today is Jehovah by Janvier Kayitana. I keep listening to it because it has good lyrics. I really love gospel music.
9. Ideal plan for a romantic getaway?
Interesting. It would be a beautiful island, having dinner at the beach as we watch the sunset. Then take a stroll down by the water.
10. Have you ever danced in the rain?
Yes I have ever danced in the rain. It was fun but I was beaten up by my dad when he found me; our dad has always been a very strict man.
11. What cheers you up?
When I receive a call and I am told a certain amount of money has been deposited on my account, you need to see my dancing moves.
12. What’s your favourite commercial?
None in particular.
13. What’s your one annoying habit?
My most annoying habit is not forgiving, especially people who have really hurt me. I think it’s a very bad thing not to forgive.
14. Ever been in love with two people at the same time?
No. I have never been in love with two people, that’s not love; I would definitely be lying to both of them.
15. Mountains or the beach?
Preferably the beach. I’m too lazy to trek mountains.
16. If you were to be named after a city or state, which one would it be?
That would be Kigali, but our current Kigali not the old Kigali of before 1994. I am so proud to be Rwandan and living in this beautiful city that is making tremendous changes.
17. What’s your favourite word?
Love. I love to love and most of all be loved.
18. That one thing you’ve always wanted, did you get it?
I have always wanted to have very wise kids. God gave me really beautiful kids who are very smart in all they do. As a single mum, they bring a big smile on my face.
19. What was the last lie you told?
Oh God. I can’t remember my last lie, I am not a big time liar but again, there are those simple small lies one tells. (Laughs)
20. The best compliment you’ve ever received?
The best compliment I have ever received is that I have a beautiful smile.
21. First thing you do when you wake up in the morning?
I kneel down and talk to God, that’s my daily routine. I never leave home without praying.