She is more than just a pretty face. Alexia Uwera Mupende, the winner of the 2012 Premier Model competition, is a graduate of Business Information and Technology (BBIT) from Mount Kenya University (MKU). She has worked with numerous fashion houses in Kigali and has graced several runways. Aside from modeling, she is also a dancer and actress. She’s inspired by international catwalk queens like Tyra Banks and Alek Wek.
But beyond the glitz and glamour of the catwalk, who is she? What does she like? Sharon Kantengwa asked her a few questions;
1. If you tripped on the runway, what would you do?
That’s every model’s biggest fear before they rock the ramp. Well I would gather courage, get up and rock that runway like the rent is due. It would probably be the best comeback ever!
2. Makeup or natural?
I prefer going natural, makeup is good and helps accentuate one’s beautiful features, but again even designers always like to see a plain canvas so they can have an idea how to work with it!
3. In regards to movies, action or romance?
Romance... have never really been a fan of action.
4. What are you afraid of?
I guess the unknown or not being in control, there’s lots of other things like snakes, spiders and some other creepy crawly creatures too.
5. If you weren’t in the arts, what would you be?
Not sure, I have worked in the corporate world but over time, I’m not sure that’s the place for me, maybe a travel journalist!
6. Who would you lend money, a friend or relative?
Well, it would depend on the situation, who is asking for the money and why, let alone if I have it.
7. What’s the biggest turn off?
Arrogance and bad odour.
8. What’s the one thing you could eat all year?
Mangoes and sausages!
9. Worst fashion trend ever?
Can’t say, never been one to follow trends. I guess as long as what you wear accentuates your features, go for it!
10. What’s the perfect date; a home cooked meal or dinner out?
Home cooked meal for sure!
11. The most romantic holiday destination?
An exotic destination with a beach, like Malaysia!
12. What question do you hate to answer?
A question I have already answered or that is irrelevant. It’s irritating to be asked the same thing over and over again, especially by the same person.
13. Who is your celebrity crush?
That would be Shaffer Chimere Smith...the rest of you all know him as Neyo!
14. What’s your favourite TV show?
America’s Next Top Model.
15. What’s the last thing you Googled?
16. What’s your definition of a perfect weekend?
Sleeping in, plenty of rest, maybe a swim, time with family and or close friends and an awesome church service!
17. Not attractive and live forever, or attractive and die in a year?
Not attractive and live till the Lord calls me!
18. What’s the best pick up line you’ve ever heard?
Excuse me, I know we just met, but may I have this dance?
19. Haute couture vs African print?
Either, it depends on the occasion I guess.
20. If you won a million dollars, what would you do with it?
Wow! A million dollars, there’s a whole lot.; I would first tithe cause I can only imagine it’s by the grace of God that I won, He is the owner of everything and we are just stewards. I would invest in something that would take care of me and my loved ones for generations to come. I would use some of it to help the less fortunate, a charity or a foundation, sometimes when you are blessed it’s only fair to help and bless others, some people call it paying forward, in my opinion anything to make the world a better place!
21. If you had one question to ask God, what would it be?
What on earth am I here for, what is His purpose for my life? Hopefully, I can fulfill it!Follow https://twitter.com/sharonw91