Many people drink alcohol for enjoyment, so it can be hard to know when regular use of alcohol has developed into a serious problem. Many of the problems associated with alcohol misuse are caused by having too much to drink at the wrong place or the wrong time If you think you may be drinking too much answer the following questions.
1. Do you ever worry that you drink too much?
2. Have friends or family expressed concern about you about your drinking habits?
3. Do you find you can drink a lot without becoming drunk?
4. Do you need to drink more to have the same effect?
5. Have you tried to stop drinking, but found that you were unable to for more than a few days?
6. Do you carry on drinking even though it is interfering with your work, family or relationships?
7. Do you need a drink to start the day?
8. Do you get shaky, sweaty or anxious a few hours after your last drink?
9. Have you experienced blanks in your memory, where you can’t remember what happened for a period of hours or days?
10. Is your judgement affected by alcohol, so that you do things that you normally wouldn’t, such as starting fights or arguments, having unprotected sex with strangers or becoming violent.
If you answer yes to a few or more of these questions, it is indicator of alcohol misuse.