ANGOLA is back in the spotlight after fresh doubts were cast about its readiness to host the Africa Nations Cup in January.
Rumours have swirled for months that Angola could fail to host the tournament.
Angola has invested $1 billion dollars (about Rwf 5.65 trillion) to built four stadiums from scratch in the capital Luanda, Benguela, Cabinda and Lubango.
But fears abound the airports in Lubango and Benguela may not be ready in time for the tournament.
A Caf/Fifa delegation is expected in Angola next Tuesday to inspect the progress and report to Fifa.
For some time, Confederation of Africa Football (Caf) has been fighting off such reports and instead backing the oil-rich nation to successfully host the biennial event.
Two weeks ago, South Africa’s 2010 World Cup chief, Danny Jordaan, said Angola’s readiness would be discussed when they met in Cairo.
“There are going to be discussions at the CAF meeting in Cairo,” Jordaan, who sits on the African Nations Cup committee, told a media briefing in Johannesburg.
But a Caf spokesman told the Press the meeting was routine and planned months ago.
This is a normal meeting which had been planned for a long time.”
The draw for the event is scheduled for Luanda on November 20 draw, while the tournament is for January 10 to 31.
However, should the worst come the worst, South Africa or Nigeria could be called upon to save Africa’s premier showpiece.