A reputable international tea company is seeking a long-term Operations Director to manage a large smallholder greenfield development project in Rwanda. Specifically, the project will plant out 3,200 Ha of smallholder tea and establish a smallholder services company.
Once underway, the services company will provide planting services, agronomy, production logistics, and patient capital to ensure smallholder tea is planted professionally and to scale, and that yields and quality are maximized through ongoing professional support.
The Operations Director will take a lead role in the design, management, and execution of this operation in collaboration with a team of highly experienced local professionals.
Key responsibilities will include
* Design and implement a large-scale greenfield planting operation for smallholder tea farmers, while putting in place a commercial services company to provide an array of professional services for small-scale tea farmers
* Develop a competent and motivated management team for the Services Company
* Spear-head the implementation of the approved strategy for the Services Company business with full accountability for delivery against agreed KPIs
* Manage the development of the Services Company business to ensure operational efficiency and commercial viability
* Lead field-base communication efforts to mobilize small-scale farmers and key stakeholders on the project objectives
* Interface with partner factory and investors as required
* Manage stakeholder relationships associated with the greenfield development
* Report monthly, quarterly and annually on progress of all project activities to appropriate stakeholders
* A minimum of 10-15 years professional experience managing the field services component of a large-scale commercial tea operation, in both an outgrower as well as plantation capacity
* Strong practical understanding of new planting, tea agronomy, and production logistics
* Ability to develop and retain an effective management team
* Experience with preparation and development of commercial tea budgets, workplans, and forward plans, and ability to manage for results based upon key performance indicators
* Familiarity with key sustainability and certification requirements for smallholder tea farming
* Ability to work in rural settings and communicate effectively across cultural divides
* Sound understanding of corporate governance principles
* Undergraduate Degree in agriculture, agronomy, agribusiness, or agricultural science related field
Applicants are required to submit their CV with contact information for at least two references as well as a covering letter demonstrating how they meet the required experience and capabilities to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Rwanda – Director of Operations”.
The deadline for receiving applications is Friday 26th February, 2016. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.