Rwanda Defense Force (RDF) have announced the pursuit of the assailants involved in the weekend attack in Kitabi Sector, Nyamagabe District, has resulted in the killing of three attackers.
According to a tweet on the official timeline of the Rwandan military, hostages earlier taken by the assailants who struck the area on Saturday evening, have been freed.
Update on Kitabi/Nyamagabe incident: Following Saturday's attack in Kitabi Sector, #RDF pursued and killed 3 assailants and rescued civilians who were missing after attack. The road is clear, safe for all the traffic and the area secure. https://t.co/IfrkPPbNu6
— Rwanda Defence Force (@RwandaMoD) December 17, 2018
“Following Saturday's attack in Kitabi Sector, #RDF pursued and killed 3 assailants and rescued civilians who were missing after attack. The road is clear, safe for all the traffic and the area secure,” reads the tweet.
The Saturday evening attack by unidentified attackers targeted three passenger vehicles in which two people were killed.
The assailants also set fire on all the three vehicles in the incident that left at least eight people injured.
A subsequent statement from RDF said the injured had been transferred to Kigeme Hospital from where they were receiving treatment.
The Defence and Military Spokesperson, Lt. Col. Innocent Munyengango had in the earlier statement said that the attackers fled into the neighbouring Nyungwe forest after the attack and that RDF was pursuing them.
“We have been watching the situation in this area for some time now and have a good idea of who is behind the incident,” he had been quoted in the statement as saying.
The RDF did not in their tweet on Monday state the number of hostages that had been rescued.