COVID-19 cases cross one million mark globally

Coronavirus cases surpassed the one million mark globally on Thursday, April 2 as infections surge across the world.

The US, which tops the world with over 242,000 cases, recorded more than 20,000 new cases on Thursday alone, according to Worldometer.

 

Globally, at least 66,771 new cases were recorded on April 2 taking the cumulative total to over 1,001,000.

 

The novel coronavirus, which was first reported in the Chinese city of Wuhan in December 2019, has since spread to at least 204 countries and territories around the world.

 

Statistics by Worldometer show that 128.5 in a million people have caught the virus while 6.6 have died.

Recovered cases account for 20.9 per cent of all cases at 210,308 with total deaths at more than 51,400 by Thursday evening.

Of closed cases, 80 per cent are recoveries while the remaining 20 per cent account for deaths.

Epidemiologists and leaders have warned nations to brace for the worst wave especially in regions with the most fragile health systems.

The novel coronavirus fatality rate is estimated around 2 per cent by the World Health Organisation (WHO).

The UN organ declared COVID-19 a pandemic on March 11.

Since then, the curve has turned exponentially upwards, forcing the world into a standstill with cities and countries announcing lockdowns.

The novel coronavirus, or COVID-19, is an infectious disease that affects the respiratory system, causing coughing, difficulty in breathing, and high fever among other symptoms.

As of now, COVID-19 has no cure nor vaccine, but efforts in this regard are underway in earnest.

Rwandan health authorities Thursday announced two new confirmed cases taking the national tally to 84 nearly three weeks after the country recorded its first COVID-19 case.

editor@newtimesrwanda.com

You want to chat directly with us? Send us a message on WhatsApp at +250 788 310 999    

 

Follow The New Times on Google News   

 

 

Consider AlsoFurther Articles