China will eliminate tariffs on imports from 53 African countries starting May 1, 2026, giving them duty-free access to one of the world's largest consumer markets. This was announced by President Xi Jinping on Saturday, February 14. “Starting May 1, 2026, China will fully implement zero-tariff treatment for 53 African countries with which it has diplomatic relations,” Xi said in a message to African heads of state gathered in Addis Ababa for the 39th African Union summit. He said the move would “create new opportunities for Africa’s development” and added that China was ready to deepen mutually beneficial bilateral cooperation. The decision was first announced in June 2025, amid global trade disruptions triggered by tariffs imposed by the Trump administration. At the time, Beijing did not specify when the measure, aimed at rebalancing trade with the continent, would take effect. China’s duty-free offer applies to all its African trading partners except Eswatini, Taiwan’s last diplomatic ally on the continent. Since December 1, 2024, 33 African countries have already benefited from duty-free access under a scheme for least developed countries. Middle-income economies such as Kenya, South Africa, Nigeria, Egypt and Morocco, previously subject to Chinese tariffs of up to 25%, will gain duty-free access to the Chinese market for the first time.