President Macky Sall , the president of Senegal, who is the Chairperson of the African Union (AU) has strongly condemned the coup attempt in Sao Tome and Principe. Four men, including the former president of the outgoing National Assembly Delfim Neves, tried to attack army headquarters overnight, Prime Minister Patrice Trovoada said in a video message confirmed by the justice minister on Friday. He said Neves was one of several people arrested. The military has foiled a coup attempt in Sao Tome and Principe, he said. There was an attempted coup d'etat which began around 00:40 am and... ended shortly after 6 am, he said, adding that armed forces were attacked in a barracks. The situation in the barracks is under control, but we must be sure that the country is completely under control, Trovoada said. He said a soldier had been taken hostage and wounded but would be able to resume his activities in a few days according to TRTWORLD.com. Military personnel were deployed overnight to secure the homes of members of the government and the president, according to the resident who spoke to AFP. She added that the city was now calm: People are going about their normal business but schools have asked parents not to send their children. The four attackers have been arrested and have denounced certain others, including Delfim Neves and Arlecio Costa. Costa is a former Santomean mercenary connected with South Africa's Buffalo Battalion security group, which was dismantled by Pretoria in 1993. He was also arrested and accused of leading a coup bid in Sao Tome in 2009. The prime minister announced an inquiry was under way and said the army was obliged to clarify the situation if there are other ramifications within the armed forces. « I strongly condemn the coup attempt in Sao Tome and Principe. The African Union categorically rejects any seizure of power by force,” President Macky Sall , the president of Senegal, who is the Chairperson of the African Union (AU) said on twitter.