Relations between Rwanda and DR Congo continue to worsen every other day, with the number of provocation incidents rising. The latest incident happened in the early hours of Saturday, November 19, involving a Congolese soldier who crossed the Rwandan border into Rubavu District, and started shooting at guard towers of the Rwanda Defence Force (RDF). He was killed before he could cause casualties. At least seven incidents have happened since March this year, which Rwanda said they mounted to provocation by DR Congo. Below is a compilation of the provocative incidents, key dates and how Rwanda responded. May 23: Rockets shelled on Rwanda On Monday, May 23 rockets were shelled on Rwandan territory from DR Congo. Several civilians in Kinigi and Nyange sectors in Musanze District were injured and properties damaged. The rocket shelling followed a similar incident on March 19, targeting Musanze District and Gahunga Sector in Burera District. The RDF said at the time that the incident was reported to the Expanded Joint Verification Mechanism (EJVM), which investigates such cross-border security incidents in the Great Lakes region. May 28: Rwandan soldiers kidnapped On Saturday, May 28, the Rwanda Defence Force issued a statement calling for the release of two its soldiers, who were kidnapped while on patrol at the border. The RDF said the two soldiers were kidnapped after the May 23 incident and were being held by the FDLR in eastern DR Congo. June 10: FARDC fires more rockets on Rwanda On Friday, June 10, more rockets were fired on the Rwandan territory in Kinigi Sector of Musanze District. The RDF said the Congolese armed forces FARDC had fired two 122mm rockets into Rwanda from the Bunagana area, where they were fighting with the M23 rebels. “There were no casualties but the local population is terrified,” the RDF said in a statement. June 11: Rwandan soldiers released On Saturday, June 11, the RDF said the two kidnapped soldiers had been released, following the diplomatic intervention between the presidents of Angola, DR Congo and Rwanda. June 17: Congolese soldier crosses into Rwanda On Friday, June 17, an FARDC soldier armed with an AK-47 rifle crossed the Petite Barriere border post in Rubavu District, shooting at Rwandan policemen, and injuring two. He was killed and his body was repatriated by FARDC officers after the EJVM had been notified. October 30: Rwandan ambassador expelled On Sunday, October 30, the Congolese government expelled Rwanda’s ambassador in Kinshasa, Vincent Karega, accusing Kigali of supporting the M23 rebels. In a statement, the Rwandan government noted, “with regret” the decision to expel its envoy. The statement added: “Of particular concern is the continued collusion between the Congolese armed forces with the FDLR, and their attempts to target the border area with heavy weaponry, as well as the bellicose anti-Rwanda rhetoric being broadcast by DRC officials.” November 7: Congolese warplane violates Rwandan airspace On Monday, November 7, a Sukhoi SU-25 fighter belonging to the FARDC violated the Rwandan airspace, briefly touching on the Rubavu airport, before it returned to DR Congo. “No military action was taken by Rwanda in response,” the Office of the Government Spokesperson said in a statement. The Congolese government later admitted its warplane had violated Rwanda’s airspace and that the incident happened “accidentally.” The government of Rwanda on the same day sent a note verbale to the Kinshasa counterparts in protest of the many provocations. November 19: Congolese soldier violates Rwandan territory The latest incident happened on Saturday, November 19, when a Congolese soldier crossed the Rwandan border in Rubavu at 1am, shooting at the RDF guard towers. He was killed before he could cause any casualties. The EJVM was called to the scene. The FARDC later acknowledged the soldier was Congolese and had entered the Rwandan territory.