The City of Kigali has put a temporary ban on music concerts, expositions and other forms of gatherings that bring together many people as a precaution in the wake of the fast spreading New Coronavirus (COVID-19). The new measures, which were announced on Sunday, led to the cancellation of two concerts, which were highly anticipated. The cancelled shows include the concert to honour Cecile Kayirebwa as a legendary music icon which was slated for Sunday evening at Kigali Cultural and Exhibition Village (KCEV) and the Melody of New Hope’s concert dubbed “Each One Reach One” organised by Gentil and Adrien Misigaro, which was also set for Sunday evening at Intare Arena. The “Each One Reach One” was organised by brothers Gentil and Adrien Misigaro (C), and was to feature one of the top Rwandan gospel artistes Israel Mbonyi (right). Courtesy. Although rumours of cancellation of the Intare Arena concert had started on Sunday morning, it was not until late on Sunday that it was confirmed that the two shows would not take place. Revellers were already arriving at the Kayirebwa concert venue when the City of Kigali confirmed the development through Twitter. The concert dubbed, “Ikirenga mu bahanzi” was awaited by many at the time of its cancellation. Earlier in the day, singer Adrien Misigaro confirmed that the concert had been cancelled due to an obstacle they had encountered. The concert was aimed at creating awareness on drug abuse. Temporary suspension The City of Kigali said all music shows had been suspended from March 8 until further notice. City hall said the decision to cancel concerts and other gatherings was informed by directives issued by the Prime Minister on March 6 indicating preventive and precautionary measures. “We want to inform the general public that concerts, music shows, gatherings, marches, expositions and all forms of gatherings have been suspended from today March 8 to a later date that will be communicated,” the announcement read. City of Kigali said it has temporarily suspended the issuance of permits for such events and gatherings and urged public place owners like churches, hotels, show organisers and others to take precautionary measures against a possible coronavirus outbreak. Misigaro urged those who bought tickets to keep them until further notice.