A week after the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Ebola outbreak in DR Congo a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC), health authorities across the region are racing to contain the deadly virus as cases rise and cross-border infections emerge in Uganda. With no approved vaccine or treatment for the Bundibugyo strain, neighboring countries including Rwanda have stepped up surveillance and border controls to prevent further spread.
ALSO READ: WHO: Ebola outbreak ‘not a pandemic emergency’
In eastern DR Congo’s Ituri province, health authorities had reported around 246 suspected cases and 80 deaths by the time the health emergency was declared.
Here are the facts about the outbreak:
No vaccines or approved treatment
The current strain is caused by the Bundibugyo virus, for which there are no approved vaccines or specific treatments. But scientists at Oxford University are developing a new vaccine that could be ready for clinical trials within two to three months to help tackle the Ebola emergency, according to the BBC.
The WHO describes Bundibugyo virus disease as a severe and often fatal form of Ebola caused by one of the Orthoebolavirus species. It is a zoonotic disease, with fruit bats suspected to be the natural reservoir.
Humans become infected through close contact with infected wildlife and can spread the virus through blood, secretions, or contaminated surfaces. The incubation period ranges from two to 21 days, and people become infectious only after symptoms appear.
Early signs include fever, fatigue, muscle pain, headache, and sore throat, which can delay detection. The disease may later progress to gastrointestinal complications, organ failure, and sometimes hemorrhaging (heavy or uncontrolled bleeding).
Not a pandemic emergency
For an outbreak to be declared a PHEIC, it must be extraordinary, carry a risk of international spread, and require a coordinated international response.
A pandemic only happens when a disease is spreading widely and continuously in many countries and regions.
For now, the situation remains mostly contained, with cases mainly linked to the affected area and no widespread global transmission.
Containment efforts continue
There are now nearly 750 suspected cases and 177 suspected deaths. In Uganda, the situation remains stable, with two confirmed cases in people who travelled from DR Congo, including one death. Measures such as intensified contact tracing and suspension of Martyrs’ Day commemoration have helped limit further spread.
An American national working in DR Congo has tested positive and was transferred to Germany for treatment. Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the WHO Director-General, noted that another American national, identified as a high-risk contact, was transferred to the Czech Republic.
"The governments of DR Congo and Uganda are leading the response, with support from WHO and partners. In addition to our national staff in DR Congo, so far, we have deployed 22 international staff to the field, including some of our most experienced people,” said Dr Ghebreyesus on May 22.
Response and trials underway
WHO is working with the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) and national authorities in DR Congo and Uganda to support response efforts, including contact tracing, treatment, and community engagement, while preparing a joint regional plan.
The Bundibugyo virus has only been recorded twice before, in Uganda (2007) and DR Congo (2012).
Dr. Ghebreyesus said experts are fast-tracking evaluation of possible medical tools, including two monoclonal antibodies for clinical trials and an antiviral being considered for post-exposure protection in high-risk contacts, while discussions continue on vaccine candidates still under development.
Rwanda strengthens border screening
Rwanda, which shares a border with DR Congo, strengthened surveillance, entry-point screening, and rapid response readiness on May 17, though no cases have been reported.
At Kigali International Airport, entry control measures have been reinforced.
Rwandan citizens and foreign residents with valid residency are allowed in but must undergo mandatory quarantine if they have recently been in or transited through DR Congo. The public can report symptoms or seek information via the Rwanda Biomedical Centre (RBC) hotline 114.
Uganda tightens controls
Uganda suspended flights to and from DR Congo amid the outbreak, with the measure taking effect within 48 hours of the announcement.
Authorities have intensified public awareness campaigns, supported death reporting systems in high-risk border districts and the Kampala metropolitan area, and suspended large public gatherings in border areas for four weeks, including cultural events and weekly markets in high-risk sub-counties.
Security patrols along porous border points have been reinforced, with movement restricted to designated crossings and essential travel only.
Prevention and hygiene measures
The Ministry of Health has urged citizens to maintain good hygiene, avoid unnecessary travel to affected areas, and report suspected cases immediately by calling 114 or visiting the nearest health facility. Early detection and prompt treatment improve survival chances.
"Preventing Ebola is possible if everyone follows recommended hygiene and safety measures. We urge Rwandans to stay vigilant, understand the risks, and seek medical attention at the first sign of symptoms,” the ministry said.