Rwanda Social Security Board (RSSB) has called for commemoration of the 1994 Genocide against the Tutsi to go beyond remembrance and translate into daily action against genocide ideology and improving lives.
It made the call on Wednesday, May 20, as it honoured Genocide victims including 19 employees of the former Caisse Sociale du Rwanda, now RSSB.
The commemoration event was held at RSSB headquarters and later at Kigali Genocide Memorial where participants laid wreaths in honour of the victims. It brought together RSSB staff and management, Genocide survivors from 19 families of former employees of the former Caisse Sociale du Rwanda, government officials and partners.
ALSO READ: RSSB commemorates former staff lost in Genocide, urges fight against denial
Commemoration should be reflected in daily actions
Speaking during the commemoration, RSSB Chief Executive Officer Regis Rugemanshuro said "remembrance should go beyond symbolic observances and be reflected in daily actions.”
Rugemanshuro also said RSSB workers should remember the institution’s responsibility to provide services such as healthcare and pensions with dignity.
"We remember the 19 former workers who had dreams, families and responsibilities. Commemoration should not remain an event only. When helping people through community-based health insurance or pension services, remember those who were killed while serving this institution,” he said.
ALSO READ: RSSB commemorates former staff lost in Genocide, urges youth to safeguard Rwanda&039;s progress
Rugemanshuro warned against Genocide denial and hate speech, including on social media, saying everyone has a role in confronting divisive ideas in communities and workplaces.
He said genocide ideology should be fought wherever it appears.
"In commemoration, we gain strength to fight genocide ideology, discrimination and divisionism. That responsibility should not only be during the 100 days of commemoration, but in our daily lives,” he said.
He thanked the former Rwandan Patriotic Army, led by Paul Kagame, for stopping the Genocide.
Survivor recounts ordeal during the Genocide
During the event, Genocide survivor Emerance Gatesi shared her testimony about surviving the killings in Kigali at the age of 14.
She said she grew up in what is now Muhima Sector in a neighbourhood where people from different backgrounds lived together peacefully before ethnic divisions intensified.
Gatesi recalled first experiencing ethnic discrimination while in primary school, when teachers separated pupils based on ethnicity.
"I did not know what ethnicity meant because my parents never raised us that way,” she said.
She recounted how killings started on April 7, 1994, in her locality, after armed men arrived at their home. A relative named Agnes, who had advised her to identify herself as Hutu if questioned, was shot dead after presenting her identity card.
Gatesi said the attackers searched homes for money and targeted Tutsi families. She survived by hiding in a neighbour’s toilet filled with sawdust used as cooking fuel.
She later moved between homes while avoiding Interahamwe militia, at times surviving on sugarcane and vegetables from swamps after being denied food.
At one point, she and her family sought refuge at Sainte Famille Church, in Kigali, where soldiers were reportedly demanding money from civilians seeking protection.
She said they were eventually rescued by soldiers of the RPA Inkotanyi after the liberation of Kigali.
"They were young men, but brave. They guided us through dangerous areas and saved many lives,” she said.
Calls to preserve testimonies and support survivors
Masengo Rutayisire, a representative of families of former employees killed in the Genocide, thanked RSSB for supporting survivors through education, housing and livelihood programmes.
Meanwhile, he said some survivors whose relatives were former workers of the institution still need support, especially shelter.
"We appreciate the support provided so far, including education and housing. Survivors who are still vulnerable should continue receiving support,” he said.
Delivering a historical perspective, Senator Emmanuel Havugimana said the Genocide was preceded by decades of ethnic persecution dating back to the 1960s.
He said the dehumanisation of Tutsi as "Inyenzi” was part of a campaign aimed at justifying killings.
Speaking on behalf of Ibuka, an umbrella organisation representing Genocide survivors, its Secretary General Louis de Montfort Mujyambere said preserving testimonies of survivors remains important as many survivors are aging.
"If elderly survivors pass away without sharing their stories, the country loses an important part of its history,” he said.
Mujyambere called for more support to document testimonies through writing and audiovisual materials to help preserve the history of the Genocide for future generations.