Entry control measures have been enhanced at Kigali International Airport as Rwanda hightens vigilance over the Ebola outbreak in DR Congo, the Ministry of Health said on Friday, May 22.
ALSO READ: WHO: Ebola outbreak 'not a pandemic emergency'
Under the new guidelines, foreign nationals who have travelled to or transited through DR Congo within the past 30 days will be denied entry.
Rwandan citizens and foreign residents with valid proof of residency will be allowed in but must undergo mandatory quarantine if they have recently visited or transited through DR Congo.
ALSO READ: Rwanda steps up screening at border crossings despite no Ebola case
While there are currently no Ebola cases in Rwanda, the ministry said, precautionary steps have been taken to prevent the infectious disease.
Health screening has also been reinforced at land border points with DR Congo.
Earlier this week, the Ministry of Health, together with WHO Rwanda, briefed international organisations and the diplomatic corps on Rwanda’s preparedness and ongoing precautionary measures.
Officials said that life in Rwanda, including conferences, events, tourism, business, and domestic travel, remains unaffected.
Visitors and residents are encouraged to observe standard hygiene practices and follow official public health guidance.
The Ministry, in coordination with other government institutions and international partners, will continue closely monitoring the situation to protect public health.
For health information or to report symptoms, the public can contact the Rwanda Biomedical Centre (RBC) hotline at 114.
There are now nearly 750 suspected cases and 177 suspected deaths in the DR Congo. In Uganda, the situation remains stable, with two confirmed cases in people who recently traveled from the DR Congo. Ugandan authorities said one person has died, while the other is still under care and has tested negative.