Uganda suspends flights from DR Congo over Ebola virus
Thursday, May 21, 2026
Uganda has suspended flights from and to DR Congo amid the outbreak of Ebola virus in the two countries.

Uganda has suspended flights from and to DR Congo amid the outbreak of Ebola virus in the two countries.

"Flights between Uganda and DR Congo are temporarily suspended," Alan Kasujja, the head of the Ugandan government's media centre, said in a post on X on Thursday afternoon.

ALSO READ: WHO: Ebola outbreak &039;not a pandemic emergency'

Kasujja added that the suspension would take effect in 48 hours.

Cross-border passenger transport, including ferries on the Semliki River and bus services, has been suspended for four weeks, with exceptions for goods and food transport.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) declared the outbreak of the Ebola virus in DR Congo and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern on Sunday.

ALSO READ: Ebola virus: Uganda postpones Martyrs’ Day celebration

The Ebola outbreak in DR Congo has reached nearly 600 suspected cases and 139 suspected deaths, according to the WHO. Uganda confirmed two cases and one death last week.

No active case

The Ugandan Ministry of Health said on Thursday that one patient was still under care.

"She is recovering steadily and is currently out of danger," The ministry said. "The patient was tested on Monday, 18th May 2026 and the results were negative for Ebola Virus Disease. The second repeat test was conducted on Wednesday, 20th May 2026 and was still negative."

"As I talk now, we don’t have Ebola in Uganda," the ministry's Permanent Secretary, Dr. Diana Atwine, said.

"The one person we have been taking care of is improving and has tested negative and soon once she gains strength, we shall be able to discharge her."

The Ugandan ministry said the two confirmed cases involved Congolese nationals who had travelled from DR Congo after exposure.

Prevention measures enhanced

Atwine said the government had stepped up public awareness on infection prevention and control measures.

Authorities have also strengthened death reporting systems in high-risk border districts and the Kampala metropolitan area.

Large public gatherings in border areas, including cultural events and weekly markets in high-risk sub-counties, have been suspended for four weeks.

Security patrols along porous border points have been intensified, with movement restricted to designated crossings and essential travel only.

Infection prevention and control measures are to be strictly enforced in schools, prisons, hotels and places of worship, mainly in border districts, while schools are expected to open as scheduled under Ministry of Health guidelines.