Masai Ujiri has admitted that parting ways with head coach Jason Kidd was one of the toughest decisions he has had to make, insisting the move was entirely his responsibility after Kidd’s five-year stint with the franchise.
Speaking a day after the club confirmed Kidd’s departure, Ujiri said the organization felt it was time to move in a different direction and begin a reset of the team’s structure.
According to Ujiri, Kidd made a major contribution to the franchise and deserved respect for his work, describing the decision as extremely difficult.
ALSO READ: Masai Ujiri named Dallas Mavericks president
He also stressed that he must take full responsibility for such a significant move and said he intends to closely evaluate every aspect of the organization moving forward.
Ujiri, who took over as team president and governor two weeks ago, dismissed suggestions that the decision was linked to the controversial trade that sent Luka Doncic to the Los Angeles Lakers in February 2025.
"Honestly, that trade has played no part in how I have thought about anything,” Ujiri said. "I’m in no position to criticize or blame or even really investigate some of the things that happened then. We have to figure out a way to slowly move on from this, and I have to hold myself accountable for doing this.”
When asked about Kidd’s future during his introductory press conference on May 5, Ujiri remained noncommittal. On Wednesday, he revealed that he had held extensive discussions with Kidd since taking charge, though he declined to share details of those conversations.
"Being transparent with everybody, I think a new slate was a good way to look at this,” Ujiri said. "I feel sometimes in this organization we needed clarity in where we’re going. We need to really work in one direction in how we build this team and create a winning culture.”
Dallas enjoyed two deep playoff runs under Kidd and Doncic, reaching the NBA Finals in 2024 after falling to the Golden State Warriors in the Western Conference Finals two years earlier.
However, the Mavericks’ decision to trade Doncic to the Lakers during the 2024/25 season — with Anthony Davis arriving as the centerpiece of the deal — proved disastrous for the franchise. Dallas missed the playoffs in both the 2024/25 and 2025/26 campaigns.
Kidd, the Hall of Fame point guard who guided the Mavericks to their only NBA championship as a player in 2011, leaves with a 205-205 regular-season coaching record.
Ujiri has already outlined plans to build the team around Cooper Flagg, the 19-year-old reigning Rookie of the Year who was selected first overall after a standout season at Duke University.
Flagg is yet to share the court with fellow Duke alumnus Kyrie Irving, who thrived under Kidd before suffering an ACL injury in March 2025 that ruled him out for the entire 2025/26 season.
"When Kyrie arrived in Dallas, he was coming off difficult periods in Boston and Brooklyn,” Ujiri said. "He rediscovered himself here, and we’re excited to see how he fits alongside Cooper Flagg moving forward.”
Ujiri also confirmed the appointment of Mike Schmitz as general manager, while revealing that former co-interim GM Matt Riccardi is leaving the organization. Discussions are also ongoing regarding a possible future role for former Mavericks player Michael Finley.
Moving on from Kidd will reportedly come at a significant financial cost for Dallas, who had handed the coach multiyear extensions during the 2024 playoffs and again last year after blocking the New York Knicks from interviewing him for their vacant head coaching position.
"I am going to sit here and take responsibility for every decision we make,” Ujiri said. "It’s not about being defensive. We’re going to follow a vision, and we’re committed to building this team the right way.”