Gasabo Intermediate Court has upheld a lower court decision to grant bail for Hassan Bahame, Director of Gitagata Rehabilitation Centre, who faces charges of abuse of authority and sexual exploitation of women under his care.
The intermediate court ruled that while there are grounds to suspect him of the alleged crimes, there are reasons to grant him bail pending trial.
The ruling, delivered on February 19, came after prosecutors appealed a January decision by Nyamata Primary Court that had granted bail for Bahame.
The appeal hearing was conducted in camera on February 12, at the request of Bahame's defence lawyer, Emeline Nyembo, who cited the sensitive nature of the case and the need to protect alleged victims. Both the prosecution and the presiding judge agreed to the closed-door proceedings.
The court's reasoning
In its ruling, the court pointed out that it found merit in the prosecution's appeal that there are reasonable grounds to suspect Bahame, but it maintained the bail decision.
The reasons for maintaining his bail include that Bahame has a known address, has appeared before every authority that summoned him, and travelled from Rubavu specifically to attend the appeal hearing.
The court indicated that there is no evidence he attempted to flee, and no indication he has interfered with witnesses or the investigation.
Background and allegations
Rwanda Investigation Bureau (RIB) arrested Bahame on December 16 over allegations that he sexually exploited women at the Gitagata centre, a state rehabilitation facility.
Prosecutors allege that he promised his victims favours including early release from the facility and financial support to start small businesses after rehabilitation. They further claim he threatened women with re-arrest if they refused his advances.
During his arraignment at Nyamata Primary Court, the prosecution presented testimonies from two women who said they had been abused by Bahame. One alleged that she became pregnant and that Bahame provided money to terminate the pregnancy and arranged her early release before she completed rehabilitation.
The prosecutors also presented statements from the facility’s staff who said they had heard about the exploitation.