The AFC/M23 movement and DR Congo have agreed on a roadmap to move their peace process forward and a mechanism to track implementation of commitments under the Doha Framework.
ALSO READ: DR Congo: Negotiators on retreat to iron out sticking issues in peace talks
The two sides also reported progress in setting up the Expanded Joint Verification Mechanism Plus (EJVM+), with its first ceasefire verification mission scheduled for August 24 in Minembwe, South Kivu.
The developments follow a five-day retreat held in Switzerland from August 17 to 21, where the parties reviewed progress in the Qatar-mediated process and discussed challenges that have slowed implementation.
ALSO READ: AFC/M23 leader Corneille Nangaa states four reasons why his movement is fighting Tshisekedi govt
The retreat, anchored in the Declaration of Principles signed in Doha on July 19, 2025, brought together representatives of the Congolese government and AFC/M23, alongside Qatar, the United States, Togo, the African Union Commission, and Switzerland, where the process was moved in April 2026 due to the Middle East crisis.
The roadmap will guide the remaining negotiations under the Doha Framework for a Comprehensive Peace Agreement, which the parties signed in Doha on November 15, 2025.
ALSO READ: Kinshasa, AFC/M23 sign Peace Framework Agreement but problems remain on ground
"The Parties reaffirmed their commitment to pursue negotiations towards comprehensive peace and conflict resolution through the implementation of the Framework Agreement,” the joint statement said.
The new implementation mechanism will review progress and help address challenges as the parties carry out commitments under the framework.
The move comes as the implementation of commitments already made under the Doha process remains a challenge, particularly regarding the prisoner exchange, the ceasefire, and humanitarian measures.
ALSO READ: What next after AFC/M23-Kinshasa talks in Switzerland?
Ceasefire monitoring
The parties said the EJVM+ secretariat has now been established, marking new progress in operationalising the body tasked with verifying ceasefire violations.
An EJVM+ reconnaissance mission was conducted on August 20 with logistical support from MONUSCO.
The mission was carried out ahead of the first ceasefire verification mission in Minembwe.
The parties also agreed on the importance of having a standardised method for reporting allegations of ceasefire violations.
The statement said the parties would now move towards the first verification mission, scheduled for August 24.
ALSO READ: What we know as M23, DR Congo set up ceasefire monitoring team
The retreat also focused on how to address challenges in implementing commitments already made under the Doha Framework.
The conflicting parties have so far agreed on three of eight key protocols expected to form part of the process towards a final peace agreement.
The three agreed protocols; the prisoner exchange, ceasefire and humanitarian commitments form part of the commitments now being implemented under the Doha Framework, while negotiations continue with the remaining five.
The outstanding areas include restoration of state authority, reforms and national participatory governance, interim security arrangements, identity and citizenship, and economic and social recovery, justice, truth and reconciliation.
ALSO READ: AFC/M23 says six detainees released by Kinshasa not among its members
The parties agreed to establish a mechanism specifically tasked with reviewing progress and addressing difficulties in implementation.
"The Parties shared recommendations with the facilitation regarding the path forward for constructive negotiations and to promote implementation of commitments undertaken by both Parties,” according to the statement.
The parties also agreed to remain flexible within the existing framework as negotiations continue.
They said the order in which the remaining protocols are negotiated will not determine the order in which they are implemented.