Roberto Oliveira Goncalves do Carmo has said he is delighted after signing a one-year contract extension with Rayon Sports on Thursday.
The new deal will see him at the club till end of the 2018-19 season.
Former Brazil international Roberto – also known as Robertinho – joined Rayon Sports in June, replacing Belgian Ivan Minneart who was demoted to the club’s youth team before parting company with the eight-time champions a few weeks later.
Earlier this week, it was reported that Roberto and Rayon Sports were due to part ways and the latter would appoint former Police FC coach Andre Casa Mbungo as their new manager.
“Everything has been sorted out now, I have signed a new contract of one year. I wanted to stay as we build a strong foundation for many years to come. For me it’s purely about doing what you love with people who love you – and that’s what the club has given me since the first day at my job,” said Roberto.
Saturday Sportunderstands that the Brazilian tactician turned down a lucrative offer from Kenyan giants Gor Mahia last month. With his new contract, he will be earning Rwf Rwf2.7 million as a monthly salary on top of undisclosed bonuses.
He further noted: “I am super excited to renew my contract; it was an easy decision to make.”
Speaking to this publication in a separate interview, the club’s Secretary-General, Bernard Itangishaka, said: “We have been impressed by Roberto’s performance as our coach in the last six months, that’s why he was offered a new contract. He deserves all the possible support to do his job.”
After eleven match rounds, Rayon sit fourth with 19 points, six behind leaders APR who have played two games less.