APR athletics team dominated the 2019 edition of the National Cross Country Champions that took place over the weekend at Kicukiro stadium.
APR collected seventeen points to win the overall best team trophy, Mountain Classic athletics team picked 20 points after finishing second, while NAS settled for the third position with 35.
APR’s long distance runner Noel Hitimana defended the title when he took home gold after crossing the finish line with the best time of 30 minutes, fifty-eight second and six-one seconds.
Theophile Bigirimana, from NAS athletics (30”59”31), and Felicien Muhitira, from Mountain Classic (31:14: 86), came second and third positions respectively.
Mountain Classic ladies team was crowned the best with 19 points; Rwamagana came second with 31 points while Nyarugura athletics team finished third with 40 points.
The ladies eight-kilometre distance race was won by newly formed Sina Gerald Athletics Club after their athlete Felix Uwimana crossed the finish line with the best time of 26”27”12.
Victoria Iganbire of NAS club won silver medal after clocking 27”17”17.
Rwanda international middle and long distance runners Marthe Yankurije of APR showed why she is still the best by finishing with a time of thirty-six minutes, forty-three second and sixty-seven seconds winning gold in the ladies six-kilometre race.
The best three athletes will join the camp for preparations to represent the country at the 2019 IAAF World Cross Country Championship.
“In the coming days we shall urge clubs to make sure that all athletes can continue to train hard in order to improve on their time,” said RAF secretary-general Olivier Umutangana.
The 43rd World Cross Country Championship is scheduled for March 30 in Denmark, while the Kigali Peace Marathon is sent on June 16, 2019.
Ladies 6km distance
1. Angelique Ibashasha Mountain Classic club: 22:27:67
2. Florence Niyokunru. Nyaruguru: 23:23:13
3. Claire Uwitonze Rwamagana: 23: 27:52
Ladies 8km distance.
1. Flexi Uwuwimana (Sina Gerald Athletics Club): 26:27:12
2. 2. Iganbire Victoria (Nas MT Classic): 27:17:17
Ladies 10km distance
1. Marthe Yankurije (APR Club): 36:43:67
2. Beatha Nishimwe (NAS Club): 36:50:53
3. Primitive Nirora (NAS Club): 39:02:03
Men’s 10km distance
1. Noel Hitmana (APR): 30:58:61
2. 2. Theophile Bigirimana (NAS): 30:59:31
3. Felicien Muhitira (MT Classic): 31:14: 86
Best Ladies’ time
1. Mountain Classic 19 points
2. 2. Rwamagana 31 points
3. Nyarugura 40 points
Bes Men’s team
1. APR athletics club: 17 points
2. Mountain Classic 20 points
3. NAS club 35 points