Wedding season and holiday parties are here and your bank accounts are probably in tears; let’s make sure you are getting your money’s worth by making sure you are wearing dresses cut out to flatter your shape. In fact, if possible tailor-made dresses are probably your best choice as they are cut to fit and so less time wasted worrying how you look. A little black dress never goes wrong and the right jewellery always serves to draw attention away from unflattering body parts. But in more detail…
First off determine your body shape and colours that suit your skin tone and then experiment with these tips to achieve the best look for the season.
Attributes include a slender torso, small bust, with hips and thighs proportionally larger than the torso and waist.
Work in favour of an a-line skirt or empire waistline and select a two-toned dress with the lighter or brighter colour above the waist and the darker tone below the waist.
Attributes include a small bone structure and waistline with bust and hips proportionally larger than the waist: in a word, voluptuous.
Look for a smoother fit with monotone colours that work best by providing a sense of continuity from head to toe. It is also a great idea to accessorize with jewellery high on the neckline. If your clothing is monotone, you can wear flashier earrings as well, which draws attention to the face.
Attributes include a boy-shaped figure, with few visible curves from the shoulders through the hips.
Wrap or surplice tops help to give definition to the waist, which might otherwise get lost in a dress. Consider wearing a coordinated skirt and top instead of a cocktail dress. You might also consider wearing a cocktail suit with a peplum jacket. If you want to wear a dress, include a jewelled or sequined belt, or tie a festive ribbon to cinch the waist, adding definition. Avoid tube dresses and boxy jackets, which add no definition to the waistline.
Attributes include broad shoulders with a narrow waistline and hips.
Wear a dress with a flair skirt. Try an unusual or asymmetrical hemline. If you wear a cocktail pants suit, you can wear wide legs or pants that flare at the bottom. You can also draw attention away from your top by wearing interesting shoes.
So here are a few tips for all of us:
* Dark colours are slimming, no matter what your body shape.
* Dress in proportion to your height. Long tops, jackets, skirts and dresses swallow petites, while cropped tops and short skirts and dresses further emphasize length on exceptionally tall bodies.
* Use jewellery and interesting necklines to emphasize the upper body and draw attention away from the lower body.
* Make sure your clothes fit. Ill-fitting clothes emphasize problem areas. Alterations can make all the difference in the world between an ill-fitting sack and a stunning item of clothing that highlights your good points.
* Wear your clothes; don't let them wear you! If you're constantly fussing with your clothes, then your clothes are wearing you. Your outfits should be carefree and stress-free.
Remember that it's all about style. Cultivate your own style. If your personal style varies from what you've read here, if you wear it with confidence, your inner beauty will shine through. Enjoy the festivities over the next few days and don’t look at your wallet until 2012.