• One of the world’s leading computer and computer peripheral manufacturer Hewlett Packard was first started in a garage at Palo Alto in the year 1939.
• ‘Crash Course’ is another name for Microsoft Windows tutorials.
Largest four software making Companies are: Microsoft, Adobe, Sap, Computer Associates.
• [Ctrl] + [Alt] + [Delete] sequence was written by “David Bradley”.
“The Dirty Dozen” is the name of 12 engineers who designed IBM PC.
Doug Engelbart, invented the first computer mouse in the year 1964 and was made up of wood.
• Bill Gates, the founder of Microsoft was a college drop out. Bill Gates’ house was designed using a Macintosh computer.
• The word ‘upset’ originated from horse racing. The common use of the word came after one race where a new upstart horse named ‘Upset’ unexpectedly beat the crowd’s favourite named ‘Man O’ War’ who had never lost a race before that day.
• Yahoo! derived its name from the word Yahoo coined by Jonathan Swift in Gulliver’s Travels. A Yahoo is a person who is repulsive in appearance and action and is barely human.
• The @ sign was once considered a letter in the English language. The Chinese call it a little mouse, Danes and Swedes call it ‘elephant’s trunk’, Germans a spider monkey, and Italians a snail. Israelis pronounce it ‘strudels’ and the Czechs say ‘rollmops’s...What is it?
• The first computer virus was written by the Farooq Alvi brothers in 1986. Though some other people say that it was written even before. The Alvi brothers wrote this virus to protect their research work.
• Almost all computer users must know how destructive a virus can be. But then, it would be interesting to know that the virus cannot corrupt your PC on its own. It corrupts your system only when you activate it by either downloading infected files from the Internet or by sharing these infected files.
• When the CD was invented, it was decided that a CD should be long enough to hold Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony at any tempo which was precisely 72 minutes.
• The French Culture Ministry has banned the word ‘e-mail’ in all government ministries, documents, publications and Websites, because ‘e-mail’ is an English word. They prefer to use the term ‘courriel’.
• Chicken liver can be used to change A-type blood to O-type blood.
• Dolphins do not have a sense of smell, but they can distinguish different tastes: sweet, sour, bitter and salty. The dolphin brain has more folds than a human brain.
• You sit on the biggest muscle in your body, the gluteus maximus a.k.a the butt, while the tiniest muscle, is the stapedius of the middle ear.
A good Irish birthday present is to lift the birthday child upside down and gently thump his head on the floor for good luck, corresponding to his age+1.
• The word ‘Ciao’ actually means both “hello” and “goodbye” and originally meant “servant” in Venetian (Venezuela).
Quote of the day:
“You are responsible for your life. You can’t keep blaming somebody else for your dysfunction. Life is really about moving on.”—Oprah Winfrey