• The word “highjack” originated during prohibition when a truck of illegal liquor was taken, the gunman would say “high jack” indicating how the driver should raise his hands.
• The White House, in Washington DC, was originally gray, the color of the sandstone it was built out of. After the War of 1812, during which it had been burned by Canadian troops, the outside walls were painted white to hide the smoke stains.
• An elephant can smell water three kilometers away.
• VHS stands for Video Home System.
• The word vaccine comes from the Latin word "vacca," which means cow. This name was chosen because the first vaccination was derived from cowpox which was given to a boy.
• Hans Christian Andersen, Cher, Tom Cruise, Albert Einstein, Whoopie Goldberg, Greg Louganis, Lee Harvey Oswald, and Gen. George S. Patton, are (were) all dyslexics.
• Zebras can't see the color orange. Bulls are color blind.
US presidents who…
• Died on July 4th: John Adams and Thomas Jefferson died in 1826, James Monroe died in 1831.
• Never attended college: Grover Cleveland, Abraham Lincoln, Harry S. Truman, and George Washington.
• Have been assassinated: Abraham Lincoln in 1865, James A. Garfield in 1881, William H. McKinley in 1901, and John F. Kennedy in 1963.
• Never had children: George Washington, known as the “Father of the Country,” James Madison, Andrew Jackson, James Polk, James Buchanan, and Warren Harding.
• Owned slaves: George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, Andrew Jackson, John Tyler, James K. Polk, Zachary Taylor, Andrew Johnson, and Ulysses S. Grant.
• Served an entire term without a vice president: John Tyler, Millard Fillmore, Andrew Johnson, and Chester Arthur.
• William Henry Harrison (1773-1841) was the first US president to die in office after 32 days and he also had the shortest term in office.
Quote of the Day
It’s better to be honest and poor than to be dishonest and rich.