There are several reasons why your breath may not smell fresh all the time.
Everyone wants his or her mouth smelling nice and fresh all the time; and not having this experience even if it is occasionally, can be somewhat embarrassing. There are several reasons why your breath may not smell fresh all the time such as:
A dirty tongue
There are tiny hairs on the tongue, which can trap dirt, and would eventually cause the mouth to smell.
While asleep, your saliva flows more slowly. Since the flow is slower, sulphuric gases are not diluted and this is why your breath may not smell so fresh in the mornings.
Eating produces saliva to enable the easier swallowing of food, and swallowing dislodges bacteria from the back of the tongue. So, the less you eat, the less saliva you produce, and the less sulphuric gases you dilute.
Certain foods can cause bad breath such as onions, garlic, etc.
Poor oral hygiene:
Improper brushing and flossing can result in food particles staying over time in the mouth, which would not keep your breath smelling fresh.
Here are a few steps to help you keep your breath smelling nice and fresh all the time.
• Brush your teeth regularly: Brush your teeth in the morning, after every meal, and before you go to bed. In addition, use dental floss or salty water.
• Did you know that when you brush your teeth and gums, that you should also brush your tongue and the roof of your mouth. Brushing these areas helps dislodge unwanted substances thereby keeping your smelling fresh.
• Clean and replace your toothbrush regularly.
• Drink plenty of water: Keeping yourself dehydrated does two things. It allows your system to flush out odors from onions, garlic, and other aromatic foods. It also keeps your mouth moist and stifles the presence of unwanted substances thereby preventing bad breath.
• Eat plenty of green leafy vegetable, because these contain the plant pigment chlorophyll, a natural breath freshener. Limit your intake of refined carbohydrates, coffee, and dairy products.
• Avoid caffeine: caffeine is a diurect and can cause your mouth to become dry. A dry mouth usually does not smell fresh.
• Avoid certain foods: if you don’t want to smell certain foods like garlic, then avoid eating them. Garlic; however is good for the body, do even if you take it in large quantities, ensure proper oral hygiene afterwards.
• Dental care: see a dentist twice a year to have your teeth cleaned.
• Do not eat foods with excessive proteins and fats. If you do, make sure you remove all particles from your mouth.