Christmas is the time when we all expect to have those special meals. Why not make it fabulous for your family this time round. Here are tips on how to make turkey.
Get your Turkey of around two kilograms depending on how big your family is, fresh or frozen.
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 Tablespoons of unsalted butter
2 Medium onions, chopped
1/3 Cup light brown sugar
1. Remove giblet (discard liver), neck and any visible fat from turkey; reserve for stock. Rinse turkey with cold water and drain well. Use a paper towel to make sure it is dry enough.
2. Sock the turkey both inside and outside with salt and pepper.
3. Try to spread the turkey very well by tying the wings together or twist the wing tips behind the back.
4. Place turkey, breast side up, on a wire roasting rack (sprayed with non-stick cooking spray) in shallow pan. Cover loosely with foil to make sure it does not drain any water in it.
5. Roast turkey in a preheated 325 degree F oven about 2-1/2 hours.
6. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat and cook onions with salt and pepper, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes or until very soft. (If onions begin to brown, lower the heat.)
7. Stir in sauce and sugar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.
8. Remove foil and pour glaze over bird.
9. Continue to roast ½ to 1-¼ hours or until the thermometer registers 180 degrees F in the thigh and 170 degrees F in the breast.
10. Remove turkey from oven. Allow turkey to rest for 10-15 minutes before serving.
When the turkey has cooled for some time it is ready to be served your family will like it try it out.