Hundreds of people in Rubavu District Friday attended the burial of a mother killed by Thursday’s bombing from the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).
Vestine Mukagasana, 44 was buried in Karundo Cemetery in Gisenyi Sector after a requiem mass at Mbugangari Chapel.
She is survived by husband Louis Twagiramungu and six children.
A sombre mood descended on mourners as family members and relatives lowered the casket containing Mukagasana’s body down the grave.
Mourners described the late Mukagasana as a humble woman who was killed innocently.
“Had it been a normal death, I wouldn’t be mourning like this; she was a kind woman who respected everyone. She died innocently as she was not involved in DRC wars. All concerned authorities should intervene to end violence targeting innocent residents,” said Immaculee Karuburiza, a mourner.
Paul Subukino, a resident from Gisenyi sector recalled that he was with the late Mukagasana moments before her death.
“We were talking to each other when the bomb landed. I found myself in hospital only to hear bad news that the bomb had killed her. May God help her family,” said Subukino.
The deceased’s’ two-month old son who was seriously injured was transferred from Gisenyi Hospital to Kigali Teaching Hospital (CHUK) for intensive care.
Officials said he has fragments in his head.
The widower Twagiramungu said it would take long for his family to recover from the shock of his wife’s death.
“I was coming from Goma when I heard a bomb blast in our neighbourhood. I rushed to see the situation only to find it had killed my beloved wife. I am really shocked and upset, I believe God will receive her and bless me and my children,” said Twagiramungu.
Rubavu district financially contributed to the burial.
It also contributed Rwf 200,000 towards the child’s treatment.
Assuring residents of security, the district Mayor Sheikh Hassan Bahame, promised that the district would offer more support to the family.
Last Thursday alone, 10 rockets were fired in the border district of Rubavu from the Democratic Republic of Congo, with the first targeting a market.
The second bomb landed near the Grand Barriere – one of the two official border crossing points into DRC while the other landed in Busasamana village. Over 30 bombs reportedly landed in Rubavu last month.
Following Thursday’s incident, the government warned that such “provocation can no longer be tolerated.”
The Government blamed the attacks on the joint operations of Congolese army (FARDC) and the FDLR, a Congo-based militia group blamed for the 1994 Genocide against the Tutsi in Rwanda.
Meanwhile, on Friday 13 Congolese refugees crossed into Rwanda and were welcomed by local officials to be taken to Nkamira transit centre.