Chelsea forward Didier Drogba has pledged support to the survivors of the 1994 Genocide against Tusti through his ‘Drogba Foundation’.
The Ivory Coast skipper made the revelation exclusively to Times Sport on Tuesday night after visiting the Kigali Genocide Memorial Centre at Gisozi.
“Through my foundation, I will contact my partner (Samuel Eto’O) to find a way of supporting the survivors of the Genocide that happened in Rwanda,” Drogba said.
The 31-year-old noted that what he witnessed at the Memorial Centre signifies an image of hope. Drogba was accompanied by Culture and Sports Minister Joseph Habineza and Ferwafa boss Brig. Gen. Jean Bosco Kazura among other government officials.
The Chelsea striker was taken around by the head of the documentation centre, Yves Kamuronsi, who explained to him what caused the genocide, how it was carried out, how it was stopped and measures taken in the reconciliation and unity.
Drogba jetted out of the country yesterday morning to Angola on a sensitization mission for the organization of the 2010 African Cup of Nations.
The striker, who will be representing the foundation bearing his name, said that CAN 2010 should be an excellent opportunity for the host nation (Angola) to showcase its potential.
Last week, Drogba met with the Angolan ambassador to Ivory Coast, Gilberto Buta Lutucuta after which he committed himself to visit Luanda on 24 June (yesterday).
“The sad image of the past which only portrayed the war has been left behind, now let’s give our contribution to portray to the world the improved image of Angola, “stressed the footballer.
According to ANGOP, the footballer will have a programme of activities which includes preparation of match between the Angolan national team and an African team made up of athletes who play in Europe.
The five-member delegation from Drogba Foundation will also hold meetings with Angolan sports officials and work with the Lwini Foundation.