MUHANGA – The head of the umbrella organisation of Genocide survivors associations (IBUKA) in Muhanga District, has appealed to Genocide suspects to volunteer information to recover of more remains of victims which have not been reburied so far.
Eugene Karangwa, made the remarks during an exclusive interview with the New Times on Thursday. His remarks however, follow reports that some former Genocide convicts have deliberately withheld information on where bodies of victims were dumped.
“It is true that suspects are still tightlipped even when they plead guilty to Genocide crimes,” Karangwa said.
“Suspects have noticeably resorted to falsifying information claiming that the bodies were dumped by other people –who are either dead or have escaped the Gacaca trails.”
Karangwa added that concealing information has contributed to cases of trauma among survivors especially during the Genocide commemoration period. He further warned that concealing information of such a nature is a criminal offense.
In a related development, Herman Mugirente, the director of Ecole Technique de Kabgayi was recently sentenced to 19 yrs imprisonment after remains of two genocide victims were discovered at his Kivumu farmland.
Sources allege that Mugirente tried to block information about the location of the bodies, and attempted to relocate remains of one of the victims.
“Survivors need to ascertain the truth about the deaths of their beloved ones so as to accord them a decent reburial. It enhances unity and reconciliation drives and it fosters forgiveness and healing efforts,” one survivor Joseline Umukundwa commented.
Umukundwa cited Vianney Matabaro, a Genocide convict whom he said has deliberately refused to reveal information on the whereabouts of people’s remains.
“One witness in Cyeza sector pinned Matabaro for the death of my sister the late Solange Numukobwa, he pleaded guilty, but he has so far refused to reveal the locations where her remains lie, which is all I need so as to rebury my beloved sister,” she said.
Commenting on issues related to Genocide trials , Ibuka officials have noted that the security of survivors has been commendable during this commemoration period, as no survivor has been murdered compared to previous years.
However, Karangwa said that genocide commemoration activities and the One-dollar Campaign-have not been properly organised and less emphasis was made to have the activities in each sector and institutions in Muhanga.