Two pugilists approved for World Championship

Two national boxers have been approved to compete in this year’s World junior boxing championship scheduled for April in Baku, Azerbaijan, Times Sport has learnt. According to Rwanda Amateur Boxing Association (Raba) Secretary General, Eugene Ndashyikirwa, the national Olympic committee has promised to sponsor only two boxers at the World championships.

Two national boxers have been approved to compete in this year’s World junior boxing championship scheduled for April in Baku, Azerbaijan, Times Sport has learnt.

According to Rwanda Amateur Boxing Association (Raba) Secretary General, Eugene Ndashyikirwa, the national Olympic committee has promised to sponsor only two boxers at the World championships.

“We received the invitation in which we are allowed to compete in all thirteen weights categories. But it would be better if we can afford to take six (boxers),” said Ndashyikirwa.

He said the weights and names of the boxers will be disclosed after a new national team is named after the national championship set for January 15.

This year’s national team will be made up of 13 pugilists.
The Azerbaijan event will also act as a qualifier for boxers who will compete in the Singapore World Youth Olympic Games in August.

Meanwhile, the national technical director, Gashugi Kananura has called on clubs to step up their preparations for the coming national championship.

The event will attract five local clubs including the 2008 champions, Remera boxing club, ETM, Kimisagara, Musanze and Inkuba.

The event, which failed to take place last year after failing to draw sponsors in due time, will take place under the National AIDS council (CNLS) auspices.

Ends

ADVERTISEMENT