There’s no need to throw the contents of the fridge at this very simple risotto - let the saffron flavour shine.
Preparation and cooking times
Ready in 25 minutes
• 750-950ml chicken stock
• 50g butter
• 1 small onion , finely chopped
• 150g Arborio rice
• a small glass dry white wine
• 2 good pinches of saffron
• 50g parmesan , finely grated, plus shavings to finish
1. Bring the stock to a bare simmer.
2. Melt half the butter in a pan then cook the onion gently until softened but not coloured (about 5 minutes). Add the rice and stir, then add the wine. Let it evaporate completely then add the saffron. Pour in the stock, a ladleful or 2 at a time, stirring and scraping the rice from the bottom of the pan as you do so. When each addition of stock has almost evaporated, add the next ladleful.
3. This should take about 15-17 minutes. The risotto is ready when the grains are soft, but still al dente. Beat in the remaining butter and some seasoning, and then beat in the parmesan. Scatter with parmesan shavings.
607 kcalories, protein 16.2g, carbohydrate 6.6g, fat 30.5 g, saturated fat 17.8g, fibre 1.8g, salt 3.74 g