GASABO - Police yesterday said the only casualty, a man, during the late Wednesday grenade assault on Gisozi Genocide Memorial Centre, was minutes later released from CHK hospital after receiving adequate “first aid.”
Police Spokesman John Uwamungu revealed this over the phone, also emphasising that investigations to find the person or persons behind the incident were still on.
“The injuries he sustained were quite light and, he was given appropriate first-aid and immediately, discharged from hospital,” Uwamungu said.
Uwamungu indicated that security at memorial sites across the country.
“It is not only this one (Gisozi), these places are well protected and that is most important. It must be very clear! That is why he (the grenade assailant) cowardly threw a grenade from afar since he could not get any nearer.”
While at the scene Wednesday evening, The New Times observed that the grenade had landed by the road-side, missing its apparent prime target – the memorial centre’s compound.
As earlier reported, this is the second attack on the country’s biggest memorial site – home to remains of over 300,000 victims of the 1994 Genocide against the Tutsi.
I the first attack, also in April last year during the Genocide Commemoration period, one of the police officers guarding the centre lost his life.