KIGALI - There were no serious crimes committed on the New Year’s Eve as compared to last year said Police spokesperson, Eric Kayiranga.
He said due to heavy deployment of police in the city centre and countrywide, no serious crimes were committed by the people as they were celebrating the new year of 2010.
According to the Police spokesman, crime figures during Thursday night’s celebrations were encouragingly low.
By press time the statistics were yet to be released.
Without mentioning the number of crimes committed on last year’s New Year’s Eve, Kayiranga said that this year they were less.
He hailed the public for being cooperative with the police in curbing the crimes that are usually committed by the people as they usher in the New Year.
“Police vigilance and community awareness ensured safety and security of the people country wide,” said Kayiranga in the telephone interview.
Only a few incidents of assaults and burglary caused by drunkards were reported but the cases were minor.
He further said that only two accidents were registered on December 31 across the country. The two reported incidents were all recorded in Kigali city on Thursday night.
The only serious incident that was reported in the western province in the district of Nyabihu where a businessman by the names of Emmanuel Nsanzimana was shot dead by unidentified gunmen immediately after the New Year’s Eve.
The death of Nsanzimana is connected to wrangles in their family and some suspects have been detained according to the police spokesperson.