The aromatic broth will warm you up on a cold evening - it contains ginger, which is particularly good for colds, too.
• 900ml chicken or vegetable stock
• 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast,
• 1 tsp chopped fresh root ginger
• 1 garlic clove , finely chopped
• 50g rice or wheat noodles
• 2 tbsp sweetcorn , canned or frozen
• 2-3 mushrooms , thinly sliced
• 2 spring onions , shredded
• 2 tsp soy sauce , plus extra for serving
• mint or basil leaves and a little shredded
chilli (optional), to serve
1. Pour the stock into a pan and add the chicken, ginger and garlic. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, partly cover and simmer for 20 minutes, until the chicken is tender. Remove the chicken to a board and shred into bite-size pieces using a couple of forks.
2. Return the chicken to the stock with the noodles, corn, mushrooms, half the spring onions and the soy sauce. Simmer for 3-4 minutes until the noodles are tender. Ladle into two bowls and scatter over the remaining spring onions, herbs and chilli shreds if using. Serve with extra soy sauce for sprinkling.
Make it vegetarian
If you want to make it vegetarian, you can replace the chicken with 175g/6oz firm tofu cut into cubes, simmer for 5 minutes, then add the other ingredients as before.