Preparation and cooking times
Prep 40 minutes
Cook min 1 hr 30 minutes
• 2 tbsp plain flour , plus extra for dusting
• 750g sweet dessert pastry
• 1kg Bramley apples , peeled, cored, halved and sliced
• 400g blackberries
• 140g caster sugar , plus extra for sprinkling
• pinch ground cinnamon
• 1 egg beaten with 2 tbsp milk
1. Heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. On a floured surface, roll out two-thirds of the pastry and use it to line a 23cm loose bottom fluted tart tin, leaving a slight overhang and keeping any pastry scraps. Chill the tart for 10 minutes.
Prick the base lightly with a fork, then fill with baking paper and baking beans.
Place in the oven on a baking sheet for 20 minutes; remove the beans and paper, then bake for 10 minutes more until sandy brown and biscuity. Remove from the oven.
2. Tip the apples into a large bowl and microwave on High for
3 minutes. Toss in the berries, sugar, cinnamon and 2 tbsp flour with a pinch of salt and pile it into the case, saving 14 berries for later.
4. Roll the remaining pastry and trimmings together into a square roughly 30 x 30cm. Cut out 8 strips of pastry about 3 x 30cm - if you cut round an average ruler the size will be perfect.
Weave the strips of pastry evenly over the fruit to create a lattice pattern and push them into the edge of the tart. Trim the overhang of pastry; brush the lattice heavily with the egg, then scatter generously with more sugar.
Plonk the remaining berries into the gaps then bake for 1 hr until brown and bubbling. Leave the pie to cool for 30 minutes until no longer scorching. Scatter with more sugar, slice and serve.