Rwanda rule out 2013 CHAN bid

Rwanda has ruled out bidding to host the finals tournament of the 3rd edition of the African Nations Championship 2013.Minister of Sports and Culture, Joseph Habineza on Friday told Times Sport that Rwanda will not bid to host the 2013 CHAN event because it’s costly.
Sports Minister Joseph Habineza
Sports Minister Joseph Habineza

Rwanda has ruled out bidding to host the finals tournament of the 3rd edition of the African Nations Championship 2013.
Minister of Sports and Culture, Joseph Habineza on Friday told Times Sport that Rwanda will not bid to host the 2013 CHAN event because it’s costly.

“We will not bid to host it (2013 Africa Nations Championship) because it’s costly and we’ll be preparing to host the 2011 U-17 Africa Youth Championship.

“Hosting CHAN would require other major facilities which are expensive. We have put focus on the Africa Youth Championship, which we hope will be successful,” Habineza said.

The Confederation of Africa Football (CAF) has informed interested national football associations to submit their bids to host the final tournament CHAN 2013.

The bid must be accompanied by a full dossier on accommodation, transportation, training and others, as well as the agreement of the Government.

Rwanda failed to qualify to last year’s edition after a humiliating 1-4 loss to Sudan in the preliminary stage.

Cote D’Ivoire, hosts of the maiden edition of the African Nations Championship (CHAN) has passed on the mantle to next hosts, Sudan for the 2011 edition.

CAF has announced that the competition will be expanded to 16 teams for the next edition, to be held in Sudan in 2011.

DR Congo emerged victors after beating Ghana 2-0 in the final of the inaugural tournament.

Ends

ADVERTISEMENT